Tips for Cleaning Eyeglasses
Dirty eyeglasses are no fun and can interfere with your ability to see clearly. If you wear eyeglasses make sure that you clean them properly and often to maximize their benefits. Clean glasses will work better and last longer. Regular cleaning can reduce the number of scratches your glasses receive.
Your cleaning cloth should serve double duty – use it to clean your eyeglasses and sunglasses and/ or your device screens.
5 Steps to CLEAN:
- Rinse glasses under hot water to remove dirt and grit that could potentially scratch the lenses.
- Spray lenses with cleaning solution (NOT windex!)
- Using a microfiber cloth, with the solution off the lenses using relatively light pressure, which will remove remaining oil from lenses.
- Using a dry portion of the cloth, remove any remaining streaks
- Bonus tip: If you don’t have lens cleaning solution, mild soap (sans chemicals or added moisturizers) can do the trick. NEVER use dish detergent, Windex, paint thinner, or any other strong chemical to clean lenses. Nosepads should also be cleaned regularly with a mild soap and finger tips under running warm water. Have nosepads replaced regularly!
One. More. Thing. Here are some more Tips from our colleague, Dr. Allen