So, why do some people wear contact lenses while others choose to wear eyeglasses? Well, the fact is, some people just cannot wear them for various reasons, and some simply choose not to wear them. If you happen to be in the “choose” category, read on!
Did you know that you need a valid prescription to order contact lenses?
YES, a prescription written by an eye doctor after an eye exam done every year (or as often as the doctor recommends that you need one). It’s a special fitting exam, too, a little extra time and energy, at an additional cost, to ensure that the lenses being prescribed will enhance your vision, be comfortable to wear, and that they will suit your lifestyle. Whew! Guess what? There’s a science to all this! Who knew?
Oh, and you better invest in some really great sunglasses that will protect your eyes from the sun, while wearing your contacts. Even if a contact lens has some UV blocker in it, it only covers your cornea, not the part of your face surrounding your eyes. Yep, more investment in those irreplaceable peepers!
Oh my, there are so many! Which contacts are right for you?
It’s all about vision correction, comfort, and lifestyle. From colored contacts to contacts for astigmatism, there are contact lens brands and types to suit almost everyone who wants to wear them.
Have a look at some of the different types of contact lenses. It might seem challenging, but we know eyes and we know the right questions to ask you.
Soft contacts are considered the most comfortable and are the most frequently prescribed type of contact lens today. Soft contacts are available for all types of vision correction, including astigmatism and multi-focal needs. Wear them occasionally, every day, and even overnight.
- Daily-wear contacts can be worn for up to 18 hours, but they really should be removed and cleaned nightly.
- Extended-wear contacts can be worn overnight. There are two different types of extended-wear contacts—those that can be worn consecutively for up to seven nights and those that can be worn for up to 30 nights. Cool!
- Daily disposable contacts (single use) can be worn for one day and then thrown away.
- Colored contacts or color-enhancing contacts can change the appearance of your eye color or just enhance it. Colored contacts can be prescribed even if vision correction is not needed. GREEN TODAY, BROWN TOMORROW, AND BLUE ON FRIDAY; it’s possible!
- Contacts for special needs correct conditions such as high astigmatism and presbyopia.
- Gas-permeable contacts or rigid contacts offer sharper vision, especially for people with high refractive errors or high degrees of astigmatism. Sharp vision is good!
- Hybrid contact lenses have a gas-permeable center surrounded by a soft outer ring.
EXAM AND CONTACT LENS TRIAL FITTING
A good contact lens fitting starts with an eye exam. The optometry team at Maple Grove Eye Doctors will fit your contacts based on your prescription, eye shape, any special conditions, and lifestyle.
Oh, and there’s a trial period. So if you have any contact lens fitting problems, bring them back. Yeah. It’s that easy.
SOFT CONTACTS VERSUS GAS PERMEABLE CONTACTS
Ask your doctor on the Maple Grove Eye Doctors team which contact lenses are best suited for you and your busy lifestyle.
|Type of Contact Lens||Benefits||Considerations|
Then, there are RULES, of course:
A valid contact lens prescription is required and may require a new contact lens evaluation for a separate fee. Purchase is required within 90 days of issuance of a valid contact lens prescription.
Did you realize that buying contacts online just got easier? How could that be?
Whether you’re a single-vision, astigmatic, or multi-focal wearer, enjoy great prices on all of our popular contact brands. Plus, orders that total more than $50 ship free.**
Or, If you like seeing our happy 🙂 faces, then you can pick them up right at our practice!
MORE RULES! You HAVE to learn proper ‘Contact Care’!
If you think that sleeping in them, over-wearing them, and not wearing sunglasses while wearing them is cool, just Google “eye infection” or contact lens stuck in eye” and you will agree with us!
So, to avoid all that unnecessary discomfort, read on… (Yep, more work!)
COMFORT AND PROTECTION
- Avoid rubbing your eyes when your contacts are in.
- Lubricate your contacts with rewetting drops if needed.
NOTE: Very smart contact lens wearers always have a pair of good-looking eyewear in their current prescription.
- To protect your eyes, wear sunglasses with full UV protection.
- Call our Maple Grove Eye Doctors office immediately if you experience severe itching, redness, or chronic blurry vision. They’ll get you back in the saddle in no time flat.
CARING FOR CONTACT LENSES
“DOS AND DON’TS” – the DON’TS are REALLY important!
We even have some Contacts Makeup Tips!
- Take out your contacts before removing your makeup.
- Put your contacts in first, and then apply your makeup.
- To minimize eye irritation, choose water-based, hypoallergenic makeup.
- Replace mascara and eyeliner every three to four months. These products build up bacteria easily.
- Don’t use waterproof mascara. It’s difficult to remove and could stain soft contacts.
Getting your contacts online is fast and easy
(a little more labor intensive if this is your first time!)
- If this is your first time ordering contacts online, and you have a current prescription (within one year of your last eye exam), you will need a user name and password, supplied to you, from our contact lens department at Maple Grove Eye Doctors, located in the Pearle Vision Maple Grove, MN store. We are in the process of notifying all of our contact lens patients of their user name and password-if you have not yet been notified please contact us.
- If your prescription is not on file with our store, we can request it for you, to enable you to use our online ordering service.
- Contact Maple Grove Eye Doctors, located in the Pearle Vision Maple Grove store, if you are unsure if your prescription is up to date. You may want to book an appointment for a contact lens eye exam with one of our expert doctors of optometry.
- Eye exams are available seven days a week, evenings, and weekends.
- Once you have ensured that your prescription is up to date, and have obtained your user name and password, proceed to our trusted online shopping site.
- Then head on into our store to purchase some cool sunnies.
- Be one of those very smart wearers! Don’t forget those eyeglasses in your current prescription. Life doesn’t always happen when it’s convenient.