April is Women’s Eye Health and Safety Month
Women have higher rates of eye diseases such as cataracts, glaucoma and age-related macular degeneration. Women have a higher prevalence of Dry Eye and may also experience changes in vision related to pregnancy and menopause.
Our doctors recommend these steps that should be taken to protect vision and eye health, including:
- Getting regular eye exams
- Quitting smoking.
- Consulting a doctor about taking nutritional supplements More Information
- Wearing UV-blocking sunglasses and a brimmed hat outdoors. More about Sunglass Lenses
- Learn of any family history of eye disease
- Using eye cosmetics safely. Beauty Experts – Do This!
- Using contact lenses safely. More about Contacts
More women than men have eye disease and vision loss. But there are steps they can take today to help prevent significant vision loss in the future. In addition to getting a regular eye exam, we encourage everyone to talk to their eye care professional about family medical history as well as ask for recommendations about proper eye protection in order to keep eyes as healthy as possible for years to come.